I’ve mentioned my DIY Homemade Baby Wipes a couple of times recently on my facebook page. Namely, how great they smell, and how nice my hands have been feeling since I started using them on Blueberry’s bottom! I thought I would take a few moments and post the recipe I’ve been using, in case any of you other mamas feel like trying your hand at making them too!
These DIY Homemade Baby Wipes are SUPER easy to make! Since I’ve been using them on Blueberry, all redness on the bum area has gone away completely, which makes me a very happy mama.
DIY Homemade Baby Wipes Recipe:
Ingredients: (for 1/2 roll)
1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp Witch Hazel
1 Tbsp Castile Soap
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
5 drops tea tree essential oil
3 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
2 Vitamin E capsules (optional) (open them and pour the liquid in)
1. Take a normal sized paper towel roll (I like the Bounty “choose your size” ones), and cut it in half. Place one half in a large bowl.
2. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. If coconut oil is solid, you will have to warm it up to melt it first.
3. Pour the mixture slowly over the top of the paper towel roll.
4. Let it set for about 20 minutes. The paper towels should all be wet and covered in the mixture by this time. If some of your paper towels on the outside are still dry, try adding a little more water.
5. Flip the paper towel roll over, and leave for another 20 minutes. This ensures the mixture soaks through all of the paper towels evenly.
6. Remove the center carboard portion of the roll (when you do this, the roll paper towels come with it, and you are able to pull the paper towels out one by one from the center of the roll). Place paper towels (now baby wipes) in container of your choice.
7. Be happy as you wipe baby’s bottom, knowing you are avoiding dangerous chemicals!! 🙂
Why did I choose these ingredients for the DIY Homemade Baby Wipes?
Witch Hazel – a natural astringent, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, traditionally used to heal diaper rash!
Castile Soap – made from vegetable oils, with no harsh chemicals, detergents, or scents added.
Coconut Oil – antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antibacterial, moisturizer.
Tea Tree Oil – naturally antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory, helps work as a preservative, traditionally used to cure skin conditions.
Lavender Oil – naturally antiseptic, naturally anti-fungal, calming, traditionally used in pain relief (say, if baby already has a rash).
Vitamin E – works as a preservative, moisturizer, anti-imflammatory.